It was founded by Yaroslav Mudry. The origin of the name comes from the Crimean Chersonese. The people from there after baptism were priests in Kyiv. They got a right from a prince to collect tributes in a settlement named as their native south Chersonese (Korsun'). In 1584 it has received the Magdeburg Right and an emblem - in a gules field is bow with arrow on it. Since 1648 it was a regimental town.