It is located on the Ichenka river, from it occurred the name of city. The first data about city refers to XIV century. In XIV-XVI centuries city was under authority of Lithuania and Poland. In 1648-1649 it was centre of Ichnya regiment. Since 1649 it was squadron city of Pryluki regiment. In XVII century there was built castle. Since 1957 it has the status of city.