The first mention refers to the XVI century. In the 1648-1654 it was a squadron town if Chygyryns’kyi regiment. In 1773 it has received the Magdeburg Right. According to a legend during one of the numerous raids of the Tartars a maiden led prince's army in the rear. The enemies were defeated but the maiden was killed by the Tartars arrow. Nobody knows her name. When a settlement appeared on the place of the battle they named it Smila (from the word meaning "brave").